A Moldovan producer of craft cheeses has created a unique product not only for Moldova, but for the entire world - a matured cheese obtained from the rarest milk in the world - donkey milk. The author of this product is Frenchman Thierry Ernst, who lives in the village of Horodiste, Rezina and is already known to local consumers for his cheeses made using French technology. The invention is truly unique, because the donkey milk is not at all greasy and does not allow the formation of the curd, required for the cheese. However, he managed to come up with three recipes for matured cheese, which remain secret. He also invented a recipe for donkey milk jam. The milk he uses comes from a donkey farm near the village.
The cost of a liter of donkey milk is about 400 lei, and the cost of a kilogram of donkey milk cheese will be 10 thousand lei. The cheese is so expensive because it takes 25 liters of milk to produce one kilogram, and the donkey only produces 20 liters per year (50 ml per day). The price for 100 grams of donkey milk jam will be 100 lei.
The products will enter the Moldovan market in a few weeks, as soon as the producer receives the necessary permits. A part of the products will be exported.
What makes donkey milk different and why is it considered a miracle product:
- it is the closest in taste and composition to breast milk;
- it has from 0.5 to 1% fat and does not contain casein that causes coagulation;
- it is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, D, E and contains 60 times more vitamin C than cow's milk;
- it contains Omega 3 and Omega 6 fats, which help lower cholesterol levels;
- it does not contain bacteria and can be consumed without pasteurization and boiling;
- donkey milk is recommended for children, as the high calcium content protects them from gastrointestinal infections;
- it is an excellent remedy for asthma and bronchitis;
- it is also used in the cosmetics industry as it moisturizes and softens the skin.